Euroflo is ready for the switch from red diesel – Our pumps are already HVO fuel compatible.
As part of their climate change initiative, the UK government announced it would be ending entitlements to use red diesel by April 1st 2022. This change is meant to incentivise the agricultural and construction sectors to improve the energy efficiency of their vehicles and machinery, allowing the UK to meet their 2050 goal of net zero carbon.
With this change comes the need to look elsewhere for alternatives that burn cleaner, but are still easy to use and offer a similar price point. Here’s our suggestion: HVO Fuel.
What is HVO Fuel?
Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) fuel, also referred to as “Green Diesel,” is a second-generation biofuel, meaning it’s produced from plant and animal waste. Hydrogen is used as a catalyst to remove the oxygen molecules from the fats in the oil, creating a diesel alternative without the use of fossil fuels.
It is considered a drop-in alternative, meaning it can be used in existing tanks without any retrofitting costs. It is completely compatible with existing fuel logistics and can be blended at high percentages with traditional mineral diesel.
What are the benefits to switching to HVO fuel?
- Because HVO fuel is easily mixed and can be used in current diesel tanks, there is no infrastructure change required.
- There is no specialised training, or any dispensers required.
- HVO fuels can be used in cold climates, as low as -50°C.
- HVO fuels can be left in storage for up to 10 years, degrading far less quickly than standard diesel.
- HVO produces less air pollution, reducing greenhouse gas emissions such as CO2 by up to 90%.
- In some cases, HVO production reuses materials destined for landfill, such as cooking oils.
- HVO fuel is completely fossil fuel free, meaning that it is 100% renewable and is carbon neutral. It is biodegradable, non-toxic, and odourless.
Cost Comparable and Available
- As the cost of crude oil rises due to limited availability, HVO fuel continues to become less expensive. Currently, HVO costs about 19% more than red diesel, and that is expected to fall as more manufacturers produce these fuels and demand increases following the restricted use of red diesel. This environmentally friendly fuel is already offered through select suppliers in the UK, and with the budget announcement, will likely be available at petrol stations soon.
Is Euroflo Prepared?
All Euroflo pumps are fully HVO fuel compatible. This means when it is time for your company to make the switch, you can have the peace of mind that our pumps are completely equipped for your needs.
Any questions? Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01892 832 144.